solid wall grants



When they become available again Smarter Homes can accessgovernment grants for solid wall insulation under the Green Deal Home Improvement Fund Scheme.

These are available to owners and tenants of any type of  solid wall property and are designed to greatly reduce the upfront costs for the home-owner of having energy saving insulation fitted to the outside walls.

For the home-owner wishing to keep warm with reasonable heating bills there was also Green Deal Finance available but this is also suspended pending a review into how to make it more attractive to home-owners. 


 Government  Green Deal Help

The Chancellor of the Exchequer recognises the importance of cutting energy use and bills and has levied a 5% vat rate on external insulation as opposed to a standard rate of 20% . This 15% subsidy is very welcome and it represents a saving of around £1500 on a 3 bed semi-detached solid wall property.

Energy Company Insulation Grants

These grants are a legal obligation placed on the Big 6 Energy Companies by the government. The current grant scheme is very poor for solid wall insulation and has been replaced by the governments own grant scheme called the green Deal Home Improvement Fund. 

These grants are aimed at social housing and are for a wide range of energy-saving home improvements and can be accessed only through an accredited Green Deal Advisor following a Green Deal Assessment survey.


Local Council Help

council grants for insulationUnless you have been living on another planet you will be aware of the current financial difficulties facing our local councils and of the need to cut costs and save expenditure and unfortunately this often means job cuts.

Despite this position the Councils now have responsibility for the carbon footprint of their borough and under the Decent Homes Scheme they do have a pot of money they can use to upgrade and modernise homes in their local area.

In addition a lot of Councils are teaming up with companies like Wethertex to offer the Green Deal Scheme to their residents so it is definitely worth a phone call .



Energy Saving Trust

energy saving trust grantsHugely under-used and under-valued the Energy Saving Trust should be  people’s first port of call for energy saving advice,not just for solid wall insulation grants.
With a national network of Regional Offices this non- profit organisation has access to information and sources of  funding that no-one else does. We strongly urge you to tap into this great resource and contact the Trust to see if they can help you save money and energy across a lot of other areas in your home.



*For more information you may wish to see the DECC Code of Practice which governs those companies acting as Green Deal Assessors,Providers or Installers.